If you need a very simple and reliable camping tent for occasional 3-season family outdoor adventures, and you do not want to spend much, this Kelty Yellowstone 6 Review is for you. Keep reading.
Key benefits & features
- Very easy setup.
- Freestanding tent.
- Great price.
- Very lightweight.
What is in the name
The Kelty Yellowstone 6 person tent is a part of a series that includes the tents for 2, 4, 6, and 8 people. As far I as know this series has been around for at least 7 years now, but it has been modified, and this what you see here is the latest version. So this is a well-known series and there can be no unpleasant surprises with this tent.
What type is this & who is it for
- The Yellowstone 6 is a very simple structure with no bells and whistles, a reliable freestanding tent. This freestanding feature is due to the corner grommets and sleeves; they keep the poles up and the system is self-supporting only because the poles are in the sleeves. The tension created in the fabric makes the structure standing. In other words, there are no hub elements that would keep them together at the intersection. This is a structure similar to the Alps Cedar Ridge Rimrock 6 Tent.
- This freestanding nature implies that you can set this tent up on any surface. Staking it out is not compulsory but it is strongly advised to do so.
- To some extent, this is a hybrid-type tent, which means that it is a double layer only partly; i.e., the fly does not cover the whole tent.
- You do not have a vestibule here, and this is not the best feature although the small awning above the door looks cool, see the picture. You might want to compare this with the Eureka Sunrise EX 6 where the fly covers a much smaller area of the tent.
- This is a camping tent and its packed and minimum weight are only 15 lb (6.8 kg) and 14 lb 5 oz (6.49 kg), respectively. So if used by 6 people, this is light enough to be carried on shorter tours, assuming that the weight is shared among the users. The mentioned minimum weight implies the tent, the fly, and the poles, just to know if you are not familiar with this terminology.
- The floor area is 90 square feet (8.36 m²), which means 1.4 m² per person; so this is OK for 6 adult people but you will be cramped inside; note that there is no vestibule for gear and boots. If used for families with kids, then no more than 4 people should be using it; you need space to organize your life in the tent.
- The floor area is big enough to put a queen size bed for parents and a double bunk bed for 2 kids.
- Note also that the tent is very tall, 77 in (196 cm), so this is a livable space with a lot of volume.
- Regarding the packed size, this tent is really great. It packs down to 24 x 7 inches (61 x 18 cm), see the picture, so clearly, it can be easily transported on a motorbike or even on a bicycle or in a kayak.
So in view of all this, it should be clear who it is for and where you can use it. Bear in mind, this is a 3-season tent, and not designed for the harshest conditions and strong winds.
There are two main fiberglass poles; this material is not as durable as aluminum and it needs a careful handling, bear this in mind. You also have a shorter brow pole that supports the awning.
The fly, the floor & waterproofness rating
The fly is 66D PU-coated polyester-taffeta with a 1500 mm rating, and all seams are sealed. The same is with the floor. So you can be sure that you have a full protection.
Note that the footprint can be ordered separately here; the tent is really inexpensive and the footprint price is around $32, so such an addition to the total price would not be a big deal and it can protect the tent floor from sharp objects.
The inner tent
This is 40D polyester & 40D No-See-Um mesh. Not so many features inside, just a rectangular space with a few pockets on the walls and attachment loops above the head.
There are no vents on the fly but they are probably not needed. The awning is there and the mesh ceiling is behind it. This with a lot of mesh in the wall should allow for a good air circulation.
- Tent type: 3-season, 6-person freestanding camping tent.
- Packaged weight: 15 lb (6.8 kg).
- Minimum weight: 14 lb 5 oz (6.49 kg).
- Floor area: 90 ft² (8.36 m²).
- Area per person: 15 ft² (1.4 m²).
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 120 x 108 x 77 in (305 x 274 x 196 cm).
- Packed size (L x D): 24 x 7 in (61 x 18 cm).
- Doors: 1.
- Vestibules: no.
- Poles: 2 + 1.
– Poles: fiberglass.
– Walls: 40D polyester & 40D No-See-Um mesh.
– Floor & fly: 66D polyester, 1500 mm.
- Warranty: limited lifetime.
Summary, rating, pros & cons
In the conclusion of this Kelty Yellowstone 6 Review to stress again that this is a Kelty item, so it is reliable, I trust the brand and can fully recommend this tent. Its price is truly amazing and if you use it together with 2 or 3 small kids, you will be fine.
See how I rate it:
Please look around if you need something different, this site is only about family camping tents. If you need a tent with vestibules, please check this Marmot Limestone 6. Need something bigger? Check this Core 9 Instant Cabin tent.
Let me know if you have a question or comment, there is a comment box below. Have a nice day.